Sunday, October 30, 2011

Minneapolis Musical Theatre Gets Batty, Again

I have a speical place in my heart for Minneapolis Musical Theatre. For one, MMT's director, Steven Meerdink, has been the theatre director at my high school for two decades, so I have worked with him personally and even been able to work on sets for MMT at Hennepin Stages and The Illusion. Two, MMT has great contests on their Facebook page to win free tickets to all their shows, which my sister and I have both been lucky enough to win a couple times. And three, they put on enjoyable, yet uncommon, shows.
MMT's current show is Bat Boy: The Musical. As the title would suggest, it is a musical about a boy found in a cave who has bat-like tendencies and features (based off a story in a Weekly World News tabloid). He is taken in by a family, much to the chagrin of the hick townspeople. The story is about family and being different.
The performance by Tyler Michaels, whose plays Edgar (the Bat Boy), is fantastic. He incorporates animistic mannerisms in a way that makes it seem natural. (This is his first show ith MMT... Maybe Meerdink actually found him in a cave?) Although the show is campy (as it is suppose to be), Michaels really makes you feel for Edgar and you want him to overcome his bat-ish nature, find happiness, and be accepted.
Photo Credit: Laurie Etchen
The show did kind of lose me towards the end as it got odder and odder. Let me say, this is not a show you want to go to with your grandma. The song "Children, Children" is a bit strange and random with costumes during that part that were even stranger. Shortly after that number, the big twist is revealed, which is a bit predictable (which isn't a problem) and rather bizarre (which could be a problem, but is performed through actor's shadows on a screen and puppets.. so kind of creative and cool).
I did think the show was well done and I very much enjoy the music. The song "Three Bedroom House" has been stuck in my head ever since. The show is both very funny and darkly dramatic. If you are interested in a supernatural show for this Halloween season, I suggest checking out Bat Boy! Tickets and info here. Runs through November 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment