Thursday, October 27, 2011

La Cage Aux Folles

     As I took my seat in The State Theatre I was instantly taken with the set. A pink presidium with art deco accents surrounded a magenta lit Austrian curtain. On either side of the curtain there is a door with a balcony filled with members of the orchestra above. I had never seen the State Theatre so full. As the theatregoers filed in, a queen wearing a red sequined dress casually cracked racy jokes from the edge of the stage. I was amazed to see even the crowd of grey perms shake with laughter at a jokes with subjects including marriage and lesbians. She then announced the show and the lights went down.
     The show starts with George Hamilton, as the character Georges, welcoming us to his club, La Cage Aux Folles. Then the curtain rises. Backlit figures, casting their shadows on thin fabric, reminiscent of the famous Cell Block Tango scene in Chicago, begin to sing. Then, out from behind the curtains and the shadows, come a group of fantastic drag queens.
    And so the show goes on. With fantastic performances by the drag queens, especially Christopher Sieber. "I Am What I Am" was a fantastically moving moment of the show.
Blah Blah Blah. I'm already bored with this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment