Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Lion King at The Orpheum

The Lion King was not one of my favorite movies growing up, but I have always enjoyed the music. When I saw The Lion King was returning to Minnesota I was very excited to check it out and see those legendary costumes for myself. And legendary they were.

The costumes were, however, the best part. It may be due to the hype, but I found the show a little disappointing in other ways. "I Can't Wait to be King," the most exciting number in the film, was really boring and poorly done on stage. Additional scenes, like Scar hitting on Nala and Timon falling in the river, seem strange and out of place as they have no lasting effect on the characters or events that follow. The best of the show was the costuming and technical aspects, otherwise not an overly impressive show. I am sure children would love it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment