Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ballad of the Pale Fisherman at The Illusion Theatre

I had no idea what to expect as I went to see Ballad of the Pale Fisherman at The Illusion Theatre this February. My friend offered me extra ticket and I was more than happy to tag along, although the title sounded odd. I was extremely pleased by what I saw that night.

The show, written & directed by Isabel Nelson, is a fishing town folk tale. The show was very simply put together with a chair and accordion being the only props, used only by the narrator. This simplicity of the setting led to complexly choreographed movements and well executed sound effects created by the cast. The entire show was very much like a dance, each movement carefully performed to portray activities like the washing of laundry or the waves of the sea in the background.
Diogo Lopes and Anna Reichert in Ballad of the Pale Fisherman. Photo by Aaron Fenster, courtesy Illusion Theater.

The story, acting, and movement were all brilliant. Each actor played a variety of parts, changing characters easily and clearly. Although the show was short, it was very satisfying and different from shows I typically see. If you ever have the chance to see this show, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment